Friday, October 17, 2008

knocking on doors for OBAMA

Yesterday was my first time out canvasing. It was an incredible experience. My friend organized a neighborhood canvasing group and an Obama employee came by to give a short a talk, essentially door knocking 101. I was very nervous at the start but it was an incredibly empowering experience. Knocking on complete strangers doors and talking to them one on one about the election and my candidate. How often do I actually engage with complete strangers? Never really. As I was walking the 12 block loop I found myself awakened to the power of Obama's campaign and the mobilizing of the many. It was great to step out of my routine and enter the world of my Milwaukee neighbors. We do live so insularly and there fear and hate can easily breed. It was the best 2 hours I have spent in awhile, even with the few disgruntled people and occasional McCain supporter. I encourage everyone to knock a few doors and reconnect.

No comments: