Tuesday, September 04, 2007

My teachers.... Lonnie Graham


Man with Food for Cow, Maguga, Kenya, 1998

Back to teaching at MIAD for me. In preparation for a new semester I always like to think about those teachers of mine that made an impression. What was it about them? What made me connect? I will try and post about some of them throughout September.

Lonnie Graham was a visiting professor for a graduate seminar at SFAI. He was traveling cross country for the class as he was also teaching in Pennsylvania. It was an incredible and insane seminar. We didn't meet with him every week and so those times that we did meet were intense. Lonnie Graham pushed me to consider the artist's role in community, the spiritual in art, and most importantly I think, he challenged our passion for our own work.

No comments: